Sunday, November 29, 2009

Prompt # 1

I am a reading buddy for two third grade boys, *Carmino and *Savatore, at *Blackstone Elementary. Blackstone is an average size elementary school and is right in the city. On my first day I was quite apprehensive about driving there because driving down town makes me extremely nervous. One-ways and parallel parking give me anxiety. LOL. However when I arrived there was a parking lot designated to the school so that made me feel better. : ) One of the first things I was wondering while walking into the building was "where do the kids have recess?" I'm used to seeing playgrounds and courtyards right outside elementary schools; well at least that is how it is in my neighborhood. Then again, I've never lived in the city so I wouldn't know. When I walked in the first thing I heard was "GO AROUND TO THE OTHER DOOR!!!" which was harshly yelled through a set of glass doors by the lovely secretary. : ) Not knowing where the "other" door was I walked around the corner and thought to myself "Oh boy, this ought to be interesting!" Then a very reassuring voice said to me "are you with VIPS?" I looked over and *Mrs. Niza, the teacher in charge of VIPS, introduced herself to me and proceeded to give me a tour of the school. She was extremely nice and apologized for the loud secretary. As we were walking the halls we passed the courtyard which is set outside in a quad-like area enclosed by the school itself. "This is where the kids have recess" said Mrs. Niza. She answered my question before I even asked it. She was great. The school was very clean and well maintained. The hallways were painted gray and pale green with art work spread out here and there. It was simple but nice. We passed several classes of students traveling in the halls and I was quite impressed with how well behaved they were, standing in single file lines and not whispering a peep. After Mrs. Niza gave me and another VIPS student an orientation she brought us to the class where we met our kids and their teacher, *Mrs. Albany. She asked me who I would be working with and when I said Carmino and Salvatore, she stated "Well you're certainly going to have your hands full." This was said loud enough for all the children in the class to hear including Salvatore and Carmino. I thought to myself "Well that was inappropriate!" After that awkward introduction however, I walked around the class and admired all of the children's work that was displayed on the walls. I also enjoyed skimming through the book display on the back shelf that included one of my favorites: Frog and Toad. The children's desks are set up in groups of three and four with the teacher's desk in the front. There is also a carpet in the front of the room for reading time which was one of my favorite things in elementary school. Mrs. Albany then showed me some take home bags she had put together herself that included a new book and stuffed animal that the students would rotate and take home for a night depending on their behavior or accomplishments. This was also similar to something my elementary school teachers did. Despite the comment she made earlier she seemed like an "ok" teacher but like anything else time would have to tell. After my first day I was eager to come back and interact with the children.
*Pseudonyms

No comments:

Post a Comment